Friday, December 28, 2007

Coming Back Slowly

Okay, last night I hit the gym for the first time since my muscle strain and it all went well. I was able to warm up on the eliptical, hit the stair climber and get in a half hour on the treadmill with no pain and only minor tightness. I am walking a fine line, because I need to get the miles in if I have any hopes of completing my first ultra, but I also have to make sure I don't make a minor injury a major one. Maybe I am just getting old, but I really can't afford too many days off before I see it along my waist line and in my stride. Hills have always been challenging for me, so I think I am going to incorporate stair climber sessions into my 2X a week core workout. Of course, there isnot substitute for hitting the hills so I'll have a weekly hill workout as well. My buddy Rick has devised a course from hell at just about 10 miles long. Being that we are entering the rainy season, trails are sometimes not an option, so I have to hit the streets as a back up and this run goes from Folsom up into El Dorado Hills and back. While it might not be the Himalayas, it's quite the adventure. I am leaning on the power of positive thinking and stretching more with my foam roller, here's hoping that my little injury is a thing of the past.