Thursday, December 13, 2007

Training Starts

I have only done a couple of runs since the California Internation Marathon on 12/2. With work, late sunrise and early sunset, I have had to resort to the "dreadmill." For some reason, my body really doesn't like running indoors, but I've got to get my miles in where I can. This week-end I am hitting the Olmstead Loop with some co-workers including two guys with a goal of qualifying for Western States this year. As is typically the case, we will start out together and then they will slowly (if I am on a good day!) leave me in the dust. Over the last two years, I have done some experimentation with my training and have come to the conclusion that my body needs to remain active. If tapers are too long, I feel like I lose too much of my hard earned fitness. Days off are harder to come off of and missed runs seem to really set me back, so I guess it just going to take incredible self discipline, something I am not known for. This blog is probably the most extreme example of "If I tell somebody I am going to do something, I have no choice but to make run of it." Though I have yet to have anybody come across this, the fact that they could makes me want to show up at the Way Too Cool with enough fitness to finish it before they sweep the course for corpses. This week-end, I am going to play around with this a bit to see if I can put something that someone might get something out of, something a little bit appealing and maybe even a little bit entertaining.